( Kaleidoscope of colours )
Hope, dangles on a string,
like slow spinning redemption.
Winding in and winding out,
the shine of it has caught my eye.
And roped me in,
So mesmerizing and so hypnotizing.
I am captivated, I am ...
Monday, November 16, 2009 \ 10:21 PM
Able-bodied, but wheelchair bound
Today's something I'd like to document my life on - my day at school on a wheelchair for nearly 2 hours.
It looks simple and maybe to some even, fun. But believe me when I tell you, it drains every bit of arm/upper body energy left in you - and that's coming from me who only utilized the wheelchair for 1 over hour. No joke lor.
I couldn't open the insanely heavy (for god knows what reason) door. In my desperate attempt to push open the door, strangers kept coming forward shooting dirty looks at my friends (who stood by w/o assisting poor'ol me) and then being told by my friends not to help me. Unfortunately, it's all part of the class activity.
I obviously couldn't use the stairs to many places and had to take routes ten times longer to reach my destination. I had to wheel myself UP millions of never-ending ramps but you know what? I couldn't even make it up half the long ramp and my friend had to push me in the end. Zzz.
I couldn't stop the wheelchair from racing down the long slope/ramp and might have suffered concussion if my friend didn't grab onto my wheelchair in time.
Again, I couldn't open the toilet door (even though it's meant for the handicapped). Every time I miraculously manage to swing the door open, I immediately attempt to wheel myself in...but guess what? The door slams back shut that very moment. &#*%@!!!! I told my facilitator and friends, by the time I manage to get my ass on the toilet bowl, every drop of pee would have flowed right out or evaporated.
I conclude:
(1) Don't for a second think the disabled are weak. If you offend them, their muscular/super strong arms will send you flying to the other end of Earth.
(2) I respect them, whole-heartedly.
(3) Use a wheelchair for an entire week & I guarantee you flab-less arms with extra firmness. HAHA.